Re: Bug 11239

In the short run, these comments are in response to efforts to enable better handling of magnification by ATs in relation to text content, the canvas tag, Section 508 of US legal requirements and WCAG.

Text editing is a red herring, and while I certainly value these posts, I caution observers to discriminate them from the change proposal reviewed by the chairs. We're trying to make content displayed in canvas accessible per US laws, as a matter of practical and ethical considerations.

Whatever pros and cons posters may have to share regarding rich text editing are rather immaterial to the change proposal.

This is about accessibility, not the heuristics and flowing of text, nor the resources required to implement such measures to a standard matching widespread browser implementations.

Again, I'm greatly appreciative of the information in these posts, but the theme contained within them is rather irrelevant to the efforts put forward in public-canvas-api to address deficiencies which might otherwise exclude canvas from Section 508 (US) and WCAG compliance.

As a personal note, I find many statements within this thread directed at web programmers exploring alternative IMEs to be condescending and in bad spirit toward the experimental and open nature of the web. To see highly skilled authors, people with authority in the community, put down the efforts of other programmers is disheartening. I hope that at some future date to see reconciliation, as there is no malintent by authors (such as bespin) nor ill-will from vendors (such as Mozilla).

Best wishes to all of the community, in their individual and collective efforts.

-Charles