Re: Agenda: April 4, 2011 Canvas Accessibility Working Group

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 12:01:06 -0700
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
CC: public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-html-a11y@w3.org, franko@microsoft.com, cyns@exchange.microsoft.com, faulkner.steve@gmail.com, david.bolter@gmail.com
On 4/1/2011 1:42 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Agenda: April 4, 2011 Canvas Accessibility Working Group
>

> 2. Discuss Feedback from Poll Results
> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-131-objection-poll/results

Seems to me that both objections are about toggling the visibility of
the caret/focus ring.
Considering the precedent of the CSS cursor property, I wonder
-rhetorically- if these
objections can be handled via CSS properties.

canDrawCustom was removed after feedback by Frank Olivier, I believe.

I agreed with it, reasoning that if an AT is going to draw a custom
cursor, it's
going to do it. That's not something for the author to be able to override.

If a user is going to provide additional hinting/options; perhaps it
could be handled through new CSS properties, just as CSS cursor is.

SVG has the same concept of a focus ring on its paths.
As for caret styling -- it seems to be absent from CSS (is that correct?).