Re: html5 editor responds to Canvas accessibility related bugs

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> On 9/27/2010 3:50 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> > > I am NOT in favor of directing developers to drop<canvas>  to enforce
> > > accessibility in order to force them to do what may be the right thing.
> > > That makes accessibility very hard to drive forward when costs are
> > > unnecessarily raised.
> > Are you also in favour of providing APIs to make it possible to write
> > accessible text editors using nothing but radio buttons? Or do you think
> > that we should tell people that doing that is not the right way to do
> > things and that they should instead use the built-in text editing
> > features? Why is canvas different?
>
> I'm going to come out for this. A virtual keyboard is essentially a text
> editor using nothing but radio buttons.

I meant something with radio buttons being used purely for their graphical
effect, as in:

   http://junkyard.damowmow.com/441

Do you think that that should be conforming? What if someone wanted to
make an editor out of radio buttons like that? Should that be conforming?
How about if they wanted to make it accessible, do you think we should
provide an API for doing so?

Making an editor like that makes just as much sense as making one out of
<canvas>, IMHO, and should be supported to an equal degree.