Re: Alternative Canvas proposal from Charles

I agree that image map on canvas should be allowed, and I think it would be useful and sufficient in many cases. However, I do not believe image maps are sufficient for complex examples of applications rendered in canvas, because there is no concept of DOM hierarchy between image map areas. Bespin, for example, would be tedious nearly impossible to implement accessibly with mere image maps.

Even if the hierarchy issue could be resolved with image maps, there is no concept of allowing interactive form-like elements in a free-standing AREA tag. For example Charles, how would you propose a textfield would act as an image map area?

I support the idea of image maps on canvas as an addition to, but not as a replacement of, the shadow DOM idea. That said, I haven't been following the shadow DOM work closely enough to know what issues the specific language has. I hope to review the work again soon.

James