Re: monthly Semantic Web meeting

Hi, Sally --

On Nov 5, 2009, at 10:09 AM, "Sally Morgan" wrote:
> Thank you for the information provided.
>
> On <http://www.meetup.com/The-Cambridge-Semantic-Web-Meetup-Group/calendar/11620429/
> >  I have found that the next meeting will be held on November 10,
> 2009.

Yes, second-Tuesday of the month, as usual.

> As I understand, it will be devoted to marketing and advertising
> strategies for semantic web technologies.

The Agenda as it stands has two presentations (these are subject to
change, as with any voluntary meeting) --

    1. Semantic Web Awareness Initiative – Marketing

       There are numerous applications for semantic web technologies
       in the marketing and advertising space. Brand managers, ad
       agencies and strategists need to understand the value if they
       are going to start leveraging it. If there was an initiative
       to explain the potential, collect and organize case studies/
       examples, manage ideas and promote the value of semantic web
       technology it could result in more mainstream applications.
       This presentation will highlight some of the high level ideas
       and open a discussion to get more insight from the group.

       Dean Whitney is a interactive strategist, user experience
       expert and president of Garfield Group Interactive – an
       integrated digital agency.

    2. “The SIRA Technology: Ontology + NLP + ? = Natural Language
       Understanding”

       Semantic Insights™ (a Division of Trigent Software) has been
       developing a system that applies [and grows] Ontologies to the
       process of Natural Language Understanding of written prose. We
       have numerous patents applied and some granted. Among other
       things, this allows us to: apply domain knowledge to machine-
       based Natural Language Understanding, grow Ontologies, map a
       given text to a given Ontology, and to compare two Ontologies.
       To accomplish this we have made specific extension to current
       Semantic Web notions of Ontology. Although not appropriate for
       this forum, the full breadth of our work anticipates machine
       augmented human cognition. This presentation will introduce
       the essential concepts of our approach and demo an application
       of these concepts. I will be sharing a work-in-progress.

       Chuck Rehberg, CTO, Trigent Software, CSO, Semantic Insights™,
       www.semanticinsights.com

> How many visitors are expected? I saw only 8 members for now. I
> suppose there will be not many people.

As of this writing, there are 15 "Yes" responses, with 15 MeetUp
people yet to response ... and uncountable other possible attendees.

I have yet to attend a session which had less than 20 people, but
RSVP lists have often enough had 10 or even fewer names.  Every
session I've attended has been worth the trip.

Be seeing you,

Ted