Re: Draft Charter Available for Comments [via Browser Extension Community Group]

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 16:51:06 +0100
To: Browser Extension Community Group <ij@w3.org>, public-browserext@w3.org
On 2015-10-25 15:59, W3C Community Development Team wrote:
> Hello World!
>
> Draft charter is available for comments:
> http://browserext.github.io/charter/
>
> Please provide comments / feedback via Github issues
>
> Any feedback is welcome and please join in the group if you feel this is a
> problem worth solving.

Basing this work on Chrome extensions is a good idea.
There are a couple of things to consider though:

1. The AppStore. Maybe the only realistic is that each vendor maintains a copy although it feels a bit inconvenient?

2. Native Messaging. This is (IMO...) a very important part of the Chrome extension API but unfortunately it suffers from major usability, deployment, and security issues:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2015Oct/0071.html
Personally I believe Native Messaging should be a separate effort because it differs from the rest by diving into the OS.

Anders