Scope of Browser Extension CG?

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 09:16:42 +0200
To: public-browserext@w3.org
Hi List,

May I initiate this list by simply asking about the scope for this work?

It is about "unifying" the following APIs?

Chrome: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/api_index
Safari: https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/UserExperience/Reference/SafariExtensionsReference/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009800
Microsoft: in flux at the moment
Mozilla: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK/Guides#sdk-infrastructure
Android: no extension support

This seems like a truly giant task from every possible angle.

FWIW, I have personally taken on a technically small but politically quite difficult extension project:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-security/2015Apr/0012.html

The extension would add a single method to browsers like
navigator.nativeConnect("normalized name of native application to invoke")

Anders