Re: Implicit Wait

The idea with implicit waits was to wait for find element, and also for any command that changed the state of the element (send keys, click, etc)

The rationale for it is that many testers don't really understand when the DOM of their app changes, and so aren't aware of when to use an explicit wait. The rise of things like Sauce Labs also meant that we wanted to minimise round trips, so pushing simple waits up to the remote end makes a lot of sense.

The implicit wait works in two ways. For find element, Selenium waits for the presence of the element on the DOM. For interaction commands, we wait until the element is interactable. Again, the reason for this is because people may not actually know when to use an explicit wait.

Despite being a massively requested user feature (which is why we added it), the advice of the selenium team has always been to try and minimise the timeout used (preferably to 0). Advanced users get this right quite often. Inexperienced or untrained users find this enormously useful, and so use it extensively.

Obviously, it would be nice if the spec mapped cleanly down to these semantics, since this will reduce the number of specious bug reports from existing users.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone