Re: Implicit Wait

Brian Burg <bburg@apple.com> writes:

> I am not a fan of the implicit wait system. It's completely redundant
> with some basic polling logic in a client library. They are maybe the
> most obnoxious inversion between driver and library responsibility in
> the entire protocol.

I agree with these points, but it’s worth noting that a pure local end
poll will increase the number of roundtrips significantly, which has
a more adverse effect if your test is running in a server centre in
California and you are in India, than if they both run on the same
local system.

In practice this may not be a big problem, as explicit (local end)
polls are already quite widespread.

> (I am as not familiar with the legacy considerations as the Mozilla
> folks are, but...)

The primary argument isn’t so much about legacy and backwards
compatibility, as much as it is with whether other vendors and
Selenium will implement the change in a timely manner.

Mozilla and geckodriver is already taking the hit for implementing
the specification and not the Selenium API.  The {value: …} wrapping
decision of last week along with continuous API-breaking changes
aggravate our users and makes geckodriver appear worse than
other drivers.