Re: Implicit Wait

Clay Martin <clmartin@microsoft.com> writes:

> My main issue with implicit wait is that it’s implicit, which means
> somewhere we drew a line in the sand and said “this is the correct
> option” for the end user.
>
> Also visibility is a very broad term, one which we have struggled to
> define before and still have yet to do successfully (in fact I don’t
> think there is anyone who has) as it has to take into account
> Displayed, in view, not obscured by something else and actually
> visible.

We define keyboard interactability and pointer interactability.  Those
are the two conditions, in addition to element retrieval, that we can
realistically test for in an implicit wait.

> If we can be explicit about what commands must run in a retry loop
> for the duration of implicit wait and either return on first success
> or when the timer ends and that’s the only threshold I think it makes
> sense.

I have sympathy for Jason’s proposal to not do implicit waits, but I’m
not convinced we can realistically change that now.

> The moment we try to define visibility though we get into murky,
> unspeccable waters imo. Intersection observer is trying to tackle
> visibility in some ways (and might be another data point in what
> really is visible) but even that isn’t fullproof or dealing with our
> core issue (what an end user would consider visible).

We don’t try to define visibility at all.