RE: Automating W3C Test Execution with WebDriver for Pointer Events

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:10 AM, James Graham <james@hoppipolla.co.uk> wrote:

> On 16/06/15 17:46, Rick Byers wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for kicking this off Doug,
>>
>> To me the main issue to discuss is whether / how the WebDriver API
>> should be extended to support rich input support (it's really too
>> limited at the moment to be that useful for scenarios like pointer events).
>>
>> I've started a blink-specific thread to discuss using WebDriver in our
>> tests here
>> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#%21topic/blink-dev/0lXHWPF4lD4>.
>

> It would be nice if we could avoid fragmenting the discussion so early.
>
> So:
>
> * Using WebDriver for doing automated testing of (the content area of) browsers has always been part of the plan going forward.
>
> * How to do this in a really nice way, browser-independent, isn't clear. All the existing W3C test infrastructure is written in python, so adding a node dependency would be unwelcome. Making authors write tests spanning multiple files is also additional overhead compared to the state of the art in browser-internal test frameworks.
>The best idea so far is to attempt an in-browser webdriver implementation that will allow calling out (via XHR or WS, or something) to an external server implementing a WebDriver client, that will inject the WebDriver commands and return the results. I'm sure this can work, but I am a little scared of the complexity.

This is more or less how some of our internal tests work today (though we have to use a different component than WebDriver since it doesn't yet satisfy all our input needs). So I wouldn't be too afraid. :-)

> * The actions API is being specified to provide lower-level input support. You can see this in the current spec, but the actual text needs a bunch of work (more than any other part of the spec).

Here's the deep link for those that haven't seen it: https://w3c.github.io/webdriver/webdriver-spec.html#low-level-actions

For the Pointer Events test suite, the pointerMove/Down/Up APIs would need to be extended with additional parameters to be able to control device properties like pressure, tilt, additional buttons, etc.