Re: Browser Automation API spec

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Simon Stewart wrote:

> Hi, I'm a big fan of doing as much work as possible out in the open, and
> I'm more than happy to work on the WebDriver spec that way too, but I
> thought I'd approach the list about the preferred style of development
> before committing anything to the hg repo.
>
> As I see it, the options are:
>
> 1) Keep the repo as close to stable as possible. This will mean fewer
> but larger checkins, but anyone using the spec that's in there has the
> appearance of stability.
>
> 2) Check in frequently and often. This will mean more, smaller checkins,
> and anyone attempting to use the spec might find the ground shifting a
> little.

>From experience with other specs, option 2) is much better. It puts you in
a position where looking at the spec on a random day gives you a closer
approximaion to the final spec than the "occasional large update" model.
It also means that everyone has access to the same information and can see
the current thinking of the editor. For these reasons, I strongly
recommend going with a model where you check in and push every coherent
edit that you make.