Re: Addendum to Mobile Web Best Practices, comments on 3.25 Structure, 3.29 Tables Support, 3.31 Use of Color

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:23:40 +0100
To: achuter@technosite.es
CC: MWI BPWG Public <public-bpwg@w3.org>, kai-Dietrich Scheppe <k.scheppe@telekom.de>
As noted, I'm working through the document now. Comments inline below.

Alan Chuter wrote:
> Starting at the end I have read through some of the document [3]. Here
> are a few comments.
>
> ==3.25 Structure==
>
> "Verify that <list> elements are used..." should be just "Verify that
> list elements are used..."  or "Verify that lists are marked up" as

Done. Text says:

"Verify that list elements are used to represent lists (ordered,
unordered, or definition lists) and are not used for formatting effects."

> Likewise "Verify that <header> elements" should be "Verify that header
> elements" or perhaps "<hn> elements"

Done. Text says:

"Verify that heading elements (<h1>, <h2> etc.) are used to represent
headers and are not used for formatting effects."

> In "Verify that all information, which is visually is shown as a block
> of text, uses paragraph or <blockquote>..." it is probably better not to
> mention <blockquote> as it is so often abused. Or tell people what it
> means (markup of a quote).
>
> This last step might be clearer as (my emphasis) "Verify that all
> information, which is visually is shown as blocks of text, uses
> **separate** paragraph or <div> elements in the markup rather than
> separation by multiple <br> line breaks."
>
> For this BP the document could, as with lists, also include a provision
> to ensure that mark up is used for headings, rather than font effects.
>
> Typo: "which is visually is shown" to "which visually is shown."

Done. Text says:

"Verify that all information that is shown visually as blocks of text
uses separate elements such as <p> or <div> in the markup rather than
creating visual separation using multiple <br> line breaks."

> ==3.29 Tables Support==
>
> I think that "Relevant Delivery Context Capabilities / Table support"
> should be "No table support."

I might agree but I'm keeping changes to absolute minimum given the long
history of the doc so I have not made this change.

> ==3.30 URIs==
>
> There seems to be an incoherence between the two steps of the evaluation
> procedure. If the domain name should be short, then if a path is
> necessary (as implied by the second step) than the path should be
> included in the limit. Perhaps it would be better not to mention domain
> but simply say that the path including the domain should be within the
> limit.
>
> Typos: capitalisation in "entry Domain" and full stop in "in .html Ensure."

Typos corrected but, again, I have kept changes to a minimum by not
playing with the text itself.

> ==3.31 Use of Color [1]==
>
> "Verify that color is not used to represent information." I think that
> this should be "Verify that color is not used as the sole means to
> represent any item of information."

That's clearer without changing the meaning. Done.

> In the Examples, "Red text may be used to convey error messages but the
> fact that it is an error message should be clear without color." perhaps
> say "Red text may be used to **highlight** error messages but the fact
> that it is an error message should **also be conveyed in some other
> way** without color **(like asterisks or emphasis with the em element)**."
>
> This is covered in detail in WCAG 2.0 [2] so perhaps a link would be
> useful here.

Added.

--

Phil Archer