Blocking policy (WAS RE: The Web has flexible presentation Re: (Nielsen article))

>>> Although it is possible to block specific user agents, we don't see
>>> people who we know block various browsers often choose to do that to
>>> OPera Mini - it appears that in general they are happy to have further
>>> ways for their users to reach them.
>>
>> really? this is an interesting remark, because some companies were
>> really mad at your friends at ByteMobile who were transcoding and
>> replacing the original UA string with the one of Opera-Mini. Shall I ask
>> those companies to report about their experience here?
>
> If you like. I don't expect everyone to appreciate everything that
> happens. I know that some companies preferred to work with people like
> Rotan, who allow them to provide highly targetted adaptations to a huge
> range of particular devices, and *do* block Opera.

Just for the record, my company (MobileAware) doesn't block Opera, but it is possible to configure our products to block whatever you like, and some of our customers decide to use that ability to not offer certain services (e.g. mobile banking) to browsers such as Opera Mini. In part, this is because Opera have been up-front about how Mini works, and knowing that there was a brief period in which sensitive data was in plain text as it passed through Opera's service was enough of a concern for them to choose to block Mini. Other customers, however, consider Opera to be trustworthy enough to not block Mini traffic during sensitive interactions.

MobileAware takes no position with regard to the trustworthiness or otherwise of any intermediate. We just want it to be possible to know that intermediaries are present, and have a reliable way to signal/bypass them if that's what our customers and our customers' customers want.

---Rotan.