Re: FYI - "Mobile Web 2009 = Desktop Web 1998"

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 21:06:25 +0100, Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi> wrote:

> Ref Bruce's article: pleased that the work on Shared Web Experiences got
> a nice mention. However, I'm really not a big fan of CSS Media Queries.
> Seems like a lot of cost and delay can go into downloading stuff that
> ultimately has a display:none on it. Why serve stuff in the first place
> if it isn't going to be viewed?

For content inside the page, that's a fair question (and means people
should thikn about what they include everywhere. But if some resource
(e.g. an image) is display none, then it doesn't get downloaded. Which is
easier for most people than doing some server-side magic to figure out who
should get what.

cheers