Re: ACTION-893: Start putting together a set of guidelines that could help address the security issues triggered by links rewriting.

I see "HTTPS is end2end security" being exchanged in the discussion.
I can't help thinking that there is a "yes, but" here.

HTTPS is end2end security, but one of the ends is usually not
identified, or rather not "properly" identified. There is an asymmetry
in the way HTTPS is being used today: server-side certificates are the
rule, while client-side certificates are reserved for very specific
needs such as access to corporate intranets, or income tax declarations.

The use of client-side certificates makes it possible for servers to
assert that the end-user is really the end-user, because the
authentication is inherently more secure when the user is asked for
something he knows (password) *and* for something he has (certificate).
It would make it possible to reject ends that are actually something in
the middle, or someone else who happens to know the user's credentials.

What I find interesting is that there has been support for client-side
certificates for some time on desktop-browsers (I do not know if that is
the case on mobile browsers, but that's not really the point here) and
yet it didn't take (or hasn't taken yet, it all depends on your point of
view).

Client-side certificates come with a series of shortcomings. They are a
pain to install, understand, and use. They need to be installed on all
the devices a user may use to browse the Web (or carried out on a USB
key). Besides, they could be stolen, and in the particular case of
Content Transformation, delegation mechanisms could also be used to make
them available to proxies anyway. In short, the solution is not so
wonderful.

But, if Content Providers truly wanted to protect their data more than
to enable the ease of access, client-side certificates would be much
more of a rule, and users would have been educated on them. The
man-in-the-middle possibility has always existed and is the base of most
phishing attacks.

In short, there is a trade-off on security when HTTPS is used without
client-side certificates. The conclusion I draw is that I don't think we
can infer that Content Providers must be opposed to transcoding because
they use HTTPS.

Francois.