Re: [minutes] CT Call 6 january 2009

Sean,

[I write "Sean", making believe that you will answer this email. I know
you won't. Novarra has chosen to keep away from discussing in the open.
This is a very wise choice, I have to admit, because I am not sure what
sensible arguments they could find in their defense, should they choose
to really discuss their technologies and business practices openly]

you write:

 > There are some transformations that almost always make sense, however.
 > For example, a page designed for high end phones like the N95 might
 > require pagination to work on a less capable device.

So, in your wildest dreams, you would like to place your transcoder in
the middle of everything HTTP and fix *everything* because Novarra just
knows better. But what if a new device is not in your system? what if
the content owner knows better?

I am not sure why W3C is using its resources to create a selling tool
for a company which wants to move the web (and the mobile web!) from a
model in which everyone can create content and everyone else can consume
that content, to a model in which the original content is mediated,
transformed and (allow me) bastardized in inscrutable ways totally
outside of the control of the content owner (and outside of the control
of users too).

Who is Novarra to decide that my page will not work on a given device?
Who is Novarra to assume that they can play mobile god? why are we even
discussing these things here?

Interestingly enough, Vodafone had created a similar model (on a much
smaller scale) a few years back with PML (Partner Mark-up Language).
Voda's content partners would author content in PML, and Vodafone
gateways would pick it up and transform it in the best possible way
(best according to Voda) for devices on their network. This was
legitimate. Because it was Vodafone's partners.

The project was mildly successful (they are still using it today, to the
best of my knowledge), but not successful enough that they would solve
the need to serve loads of cool content to all of their devices for good
(people would still prefer independent mobile sites with own custom-made
mobile UX).
Now, how can anyone think that repeating the same model on a larger
scale by declaring war on the entire mobile ecosystem is a good idea?

Luca