From: public-bpwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-bpwg-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Rotan Hanrahan
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 12:12 PM
To: public-bpwg@w3.org
Subject: RE: test against Gmail

Except that you wouldn't. There would be an absence of thematic
consistency. Unfortunately, this is not something that one can easily
check automatically. Of course, even thematic consistency can be pushed
too far. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to give a certain kind of
presentation/service on a certain kind of device. So, we should evaluate
sites on what makes sense. Is the content sensible? Is it consistent
across devices where this would make sense? Does it default to a
sensible type of device in the absence of information about the device?
Etc. There are many questions. But to ask an automated checker to do all
this for us is asking too much.

That's not to undervalue the checker. It's very useful. But it cannot be
the only test, as the people behind it acknowledge.

---Rotan