Re: Best Practices document - not best practices

Daniel Barclay wrote:

> Holley Kevin (Centre) wrote:
>
>> ....  When looking at the WURFL site I
>> note that the real content of the page (not the links or the photos but
>> the meat of the page ... i.e. text about WURFL ...)  ... is towards the
>> bottom of the HTML.  I rather suspect that HTML tools deliberately put
>> "meat" text at the bottom of the HTML.  Why is this?
>

> If you're talking about CSS style information that is embedded in an HTML
> document, it's at the top of the document because of HTML format:  The
> STYLE element has to be within the HEAD element, which is comes before
> the
> BODY element.

Also, if you don't have your rendering metadata before you start
receiving your data, then you really have to wait until the end of the
document to render anything. This leads to bad error handling (you can't
display a partial document) and slow page load times (you cannot begin
to render until the last byte has arrived).

Keeping the styling information at the top, or somehow first to the
rendering engine means that you can display content as soon as you get
it. Whether this is by putting it inline (like the wurfl site does) or
external to the page (like an xsl stylesheet, or a css link), it has to
be better.

Michael