Re: Best Practices document - not best practices

Tim Moss wrote:

> I think this illustrates a key question, that I'm not sure has been
> discussed much so far:
>
> By automatically adapting the content based on the device accessing the
> site, are we in fact restricting the user's choice?

I experienced a restriction like that when doing something as simple
as trying to print a web page (on a regular browser, not even on a
mobile device).

I was viewing a web page, and wanted a printed version for reference.
(I wanted to include the header/navigation/footer information, not
just the core content of the page.  Also, and I didn't need or want a
pixel-for-pixel screen shot showing the exact rendering of the page
or showing only what fit in the browser pane without scrolling).)

I tried printing the page, but all I got was the core content--the
CSS had been coded to suppress the header/etc. content when printing
the page.  Agh!

Actually, though, I wouldn't say that this was the author's fault.
That author was probably using CSS appropriately.

I think it was the _browser's_ fault, for not providing a choice
between printing the print version vs. printing (approximately) the
on-screen version.

Perhaps browsers (mobile or "regular") should provide a quick-to-
change choice between appearing to be a "regular" browser vs.
being a mobile-device browser.  Or maybe they should have quick-to-
change options like "ignore absolute page/table widths" (e.g., to
let the browser try to lay out the content in the available screen
or window space).

Daniel