Re: LC-2009, LC-2010, LC-2011: Link element

Now I see what you mean. I don't like the example as it re-introduces
the possibility to understand a "same-document" reference as
representing something else than the same representation, but that's not
the point here.

A typical use-case would be: "hey, I'm serving you the screen
representation because you've modified the HTTP headers to fake a screen
user agent, but I have handheld representations available". And that's
an important use-case.

Again, we could create such a mechanism. I fear it could introduce more
complexity than simplicity though (it would have to be a mechanism that
complement the already mis-understood Linking mechanism). My personal
take on that is along the lines of the TAG Finding I think: it's more
reliable to use different URIs, and not that impracticable given the
limited number of possibilities.

For instance, suppose the URI is http://example.mobi, one could define:

<link rel="alternate" media="handheld" href="http://example.mobi" />
<link rel="alternate" media="screen"
href="http://example.mobi?media=screen" />

... which says that current representation is a handheld representation,
and that there is a screen representation available at:
   http://example.mobi?media=screen
... I do not really get why this is difficult to implement from a
content provider's perspective, especially since the fact that it needs
this means it's already playing with content adaptation, which is by far
more difficult to achieve.