Re: [agenda] CT Teleconference Tuesday 18 February 2008

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the pointer, I wasn't there at the time (although I suddenly
recall I saw that list in Boston's F2F), it's extremely useful!

Not trying to bury you in yet other things, let me just try to
rephrase what I'm willing to say with that 2. "Grounding In Reality" and
the whole gateway thing:

1. grounding on existing technologies
-------------------------------------
That links to the thread you mention.

With existing technologies, I don't see how we can meet all the
requirements we may want to cover: "negociation" between our 3 actors
will be somewhat limited.

My feeling is that content negociation and adaptation in the future
would need more elaborate tools. That's beyond our scope here, and may
be better addressed by other on-going works: UWA-DIAL?, OMA-DPE?
(I'm not saying we're not smart enough to do that, I'm rather saying
we're not chartered to do that within the BPWG...)

I'm personally fine with sticking to existing technologies (with an
exception to the rule re the User-Agent header), although one may wonder
whether our guidelines would be worth the time we spend on them...

2. grounding on existing CT-proxies
-----------------------------------
I have the feeling that if we come with guidelines that address a
CT-proxy that doesn't exist for real, we would be missing our point. Am
I the only one?

In practice, CT-proxies, as introduced by carriers (that's what
triggered the creation of the TF I think, but then I wasn't there...),
do more than "just CT": they also "control" what the user may access and
impose some transformations based on the carrier's rules. We're not to
say anything about whether this is good or bad, that just happens. My
point is that if we don't take that into account, the guidelines would
address a small part of existing CT-proxies where they could be
respected, but from an external point of view the guidelines wouldn't be.

That's why:
- I would consider the existing CT-proxy to be a gateway (I don't want
to change the wording in the guidelines, I'm talking about the scope of
what a CT-proxy is for the guidelines)
- I would fancy a view where we say that the user is controlling the
CT-proxy, except that he should take a glimpse at the Terms&Conditions
he accepted because he might have agreed to leave that control to his
carrier. This view doesn't give much power to the CP, except to say that
he doesn't want "real" CT to take place, and to refuse to serve a
request when it discovers there's a CT-proxy on the line.

Feel free to be rude if polite takes longer, I should survive (well, I
hope ;))

François.