Re: [ACTION-603] Conversation with Yves, our HTTP expert, about CT and Cache-Control extensions

On Feb 4, 2008 11:20 AM, Sullivan, Bryan <BS3131@att.com> wrote:

>  Aaron,
> So you believe it is acceptable to ignore the "no-transform" directive,
> e.g. if you believe that is what the user wants by accessing a site
> through your system?

Unfortunately yes, in some cases.  In cases where we would send content to
the mobile that will cause it to reset, or otherwise fail to display the
page, I believe it is better to modify the content.  I recognize that this
opinion is not universally shared.

Currently, we will do this without asking the user.  I can imagine a good
compromise between breaking a users phone and obeying the site owners
wishing being that we could show an interstitial page saying "listen, the
content author asked us not to change their site, but if we don't, it's
going to crash your phone.  Do you want us to modify it anyway?"

> That gets to the essence of my earlier comments that the CT Service
> Provider's awareness of user preferences sometimes can (and should) trump
> the indicated preference of the content provider.

Right.  It is my opinion that this is the case.  But again, I realize others
do not feel this way.

If we cannot reach consensus on this, I would rather put up a page saying
"Sorry, you can't safely access this content" and not allow the user to
continue, than crash the users phone.

Aaron