Re: [wmlprogramming] Verizon, guidelines

Luca

I think we've been through this a number of times, so I've moved the
discussion away from WMLProgramming. where going around the houses
once more on the issue might get you or I banned from the list.

My view is that if the current text is objectionable because it
contains loopholes, we should tighten up the copy to retain the
current meaning, whilst eliminating these loopholes. When I've asked
you for stronger wording to remove these loopholes, you've suggested
the meaning to be changed[1].

You and I have now seen a use case (in the discussion on WapReview[2])
providing a circumstance where a user might request a transcoded
desktop experience over a made-for-mobile. For anyone who
(understandably) can't be bothered to wade through discussion to find
it, it's thus:

1. Made-for-mobile sites tend to be context-aware and contain less
content than their web equivalents.
2. Users are less likely to want full-web content (e.g. long "about"
pages, privacy policies) in a mobile context, but may occasionally
want it.
3. Transcoders should therefore be in a position to offer transcoded
desktop sites over made-for-mobile sites, if and only if such versions
are specifically requested.

This seems reasonable to me. If I were providing a mobile version of www.futureplatforms.com
, I would want mobile users to get this version by default and
certainly wouldn't include full details of all our case studies, say,
on it; but I can imagine there being rare situations where,
nevertheless, users might want to read them in a mobile context.

Tom

[2] http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=1837

--
Future Platforms Ltd