From: Rhys Lewis <rhys@volantis.com>
To: Nigel Choi <nigelchoi@yahoo.com>
Cc: public-bpwg-ct@w3.org
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 12:13:36 AM
Subject: RE: CT problem statement

Hello Nigel,

As chair of the Content Transformation Task Force within
the Mobile Web Initiative Best Practices (MWI BP) group at W3C, I'm
naturally very interested in your comments. Can I just point out that Dan
Appelquist is one of the joint chairs of the MWI BP, along with Jo Rabin. He is
not actually chair of the task force.

I should say at the outset that I don't recognise any
manipulation of the task force by anyone, including Vodafone. I would be
interested in knowing why you feel that this is, or may be happening. This may
simply be a failure of communication on my part. The task force is relatively
new.

You
are of course correct in that standards activities take time. However, I'm very
encouraged by the level and breadth of participation in the CT task force. The
problem of ensuring that the various software entities, that may be involved in
the delivery of material from servers to clients, know about each other and are
able to behave appropriately, has been known about for some time. Only recently,
however, have the technologies actually been deployed, leading to the kinds of
difficulty that we have seen this summer on the Web.

The
solution to the problem involves not only origin servers that can perform
adaptation and transforming proxies, but mobile browsers too. Ideally, I would
like to see a situation where users can choose whether to receive an optimised
mobile view of a particular site, or the original desktop version. The
transformations necessary to receive the desktop version might happen in a
proxy, or, as is increasingly the case with modern, mobile browsers, in the
device itself.

There
is a real tension between ensuring that the needs of authors who create
optimised, mobile sites are met while also meeting the needs of users who
want to be able to see desktop materials if they choose. The content
transformation task force is trying to address this tension. The good news is
that all of the interested communitites (browser providers, transforming proxy
providers, adaptation server providers) are engaged. The even better news is
that there is a feeling that by simply using existing HTTP faciltites, we may be
able to provide a solution which could be quickly implemented. It is early days,
and only time will tell.

The
W3C operates by consensus. Only when agreement is reached within the CT task
force, and within the entire MWI BP,  will any work be published. At that
stage, the entire membership of the W3C and the public have the right
to challenge the work formally. Not until all comments have been properly
addressed can the work proceed to the point of being a recommendation. This is
part of the reason why standardisation takes time, but it is a vital part of a
process that ensures that all interested parties have the right to
participate and to influence the outcome of the work. My personal
experience is that this is a very open and transparent process. My expectation
is that we will be able to provide a solution that is acceptable to all.

Can I
just add my thanks to you for providing the specific, substantive comments
that Jo requested in a separate e-mail exchange. My personal feeling is that the
guidelines will be primarily a technology document, as that is generally the
purpose of W3C work. The problem statement may well include discussion of the
rationale for the technology, and specific use cases.

Very
best wishes

Rhys
Lewis, Chair MWI BP Content Transformation Task Force