RE: Comment on the Problem Statement draft

Hi Nigel

Thanks for taking the trouble to post your point of view on this list.

It seems that we haven't made it clear enough that what we are doing in
this document is trying to characterise "the problem" rather than define
the solution (which is a different document). So when we say "by
masquerading as ..." are in fact agreeing with you that this is part of
the problem.

I believe that it is true to say that operators commonly use content
transformation technology, this is a just a statement as how things
stand. It's not a comment on whether this is desirable or not, nor do we
intend to exclude the idea that others can and do operate such devices.

It is apparently not clear enough in the current version of the document
that we agree that respecting both the site owner's choice and the
user's choice are very important aspects that need to be taken into
account when looking at the solution.

Naturally I think that your inference that the group is somehow being
manipulated to serve the interests of any particular group or company is
quite misplaced.

Thanks again for your comments we'll review the document for clarity in
light of them.

Jo