FW (from Sean Patterson): ISSUE-227 (When is new technology "new technology"?): How Useful will the CT Guidelines Doc be, without extensions to HTTP? [Content Transformation Guidelines]

Copying to ct list

-----Original Message-----
From: member-bpwg-request@w3.org [mailto:member-bpwg-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Sean Patterson
Sent: 20 November 2007 23:27
To: Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group WG
Subject: RE: ISSUE-227 (When is new technology "new technology"?): How
Useful will the CT Guidelines Doc be, without extensions to HTTP?
[Content Transformation Guidelines]

My take from the F2F meeting in Boston was that there was support within
the group to go with something between b) and c); use existing
mechanisms when possible and appropriate but to recommend the use of
some "X-headers" for cases where there are differences in the headers
that the transformation proxy receives and the headers it sends out.
This was mostly discussed in the context of request headers and the case
where the User-Agent and/or Accept headers that the transformation proxy
receives are different than the User-Agent and/or Accept headers that
the transformation proxy sends out.  In these cases, the transformation
proxy would place the original request headers in new X-headers such as
X-Original-User-Agent/X-Original-Accept (or
X-Device-User-Agent/X-Device-Accept).  This basically codifies existing
practice and will hopefully stop (or at least slow down) the
proliferation of these kinds of headers.

I don't think doing something like b) is a bad idea to allow for finer
control over the operations that the transformation proxy performs.

Sean P.