Re: Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-mwabp-20091006/

Hi Art,

Thanks for your comments.
I register your comments in our last call tracking system.
See inline.

Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Re Status of the Document (SotD) section: given this document is purely
> non-normative, why is this document "expected to become a W3C
> Recommendation" rather than a Working Group note? For example, how would
> this document ever be able to meet the following entrance criteria for
> Proposed Recommendation:
>
> [[
> http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#cfr
>
> 2. Shown that each feature of the technical report has been implemented.
> ]]

There is no a priori contradiction. The Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0
Recommendation [1] is also an informative-only Recommendation for
instance. Primers are usually informative Recommendations as well.

Main differences between a normative Rec and an informative Rec are:
- that there is no notion of conformance claim for an informative
Recommendation, e.g. one cannot claim conformance to the Mobile Web Best
Practices (one may only claim conformance to the W3C mobileOK Basic
Tests 1.0 normative Recommendation [2] that relies on the Mobile Web
Best Practices though).
- that the licensing requirements of the patent policy do not apply, see:
  http://www.w3.org/2003/12/22-pp-faq.html#informative

That does not prevent "implementations", i.e. one can follow the Mobile
Web Application Best Practices. An informative Rec follows the usual
rules of the process document as any other Rec, and in particular
periods where the Web community is invited to review the document to
ensure quality. This would not necessarily be the case with a Working
Group Note.

> Re the use of "Non-Normative" in the titles of Appendix A and B: given
> the SotD clearly states the document is non-normative, it seems a bit
> redundant to restate it in the titles [hint: delete "(Non-Normative)".

Good point.
(I note your point actually also applies to the appendices of the
published Mobile Web Best Practices Recommendation as well).

Thanks,
Francois.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-mobile-bp-20080729/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-mobileOK-basic10-tests-20081208/