Re: Re: please reivew mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0

On 10/3/07, Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Most desktop browsers do not support everything HTML defines, either. I
> don't see why this would be relevant. My comment was about the MIME type
> and the syntax, not about which features are used.

I believe the intent of the reply was to say that HTML (and XHTML
*not-*Basic) defines a lot of stuff that mobile browsers don't
understand. If there were an HTML Basic that may well be fine too to
specify for mobile phones, but it doesn't exist at this point. Well,
there is cHTML, but it's pretty limited even by mobile standards
today. Hence it's not so much the "X" as the "Basic" that is useful
about XHTML Basic.

> What is the difference in the user experience from XHTML Basic delivered
> as text/html?

All else being equal? Personally I don't think this changes much in
practice. The argument that application/xhtml+xml should be used comes
from the fact that it is mandated by XHTML Basic, and that in turn is
a decent idea to specify for the above reasons. I think the message is
merely stick to the standard as much as possible to maximize the
chances of compatibility.