Re: comments on Working Draft of mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0

Thanks, I've entered these into the last-call comments tracker for
review and an official response. My unofficial comments are below:

On 6/22/07, Nir Dagan <nir@nirdagan.com> wrote:
> "3.4 CONTENT_FORMAT_SUPPORT  and VALID_MARKUP
>
> ...If (regardless of its stated DOCTYPE) the document does not validate
> against the XHTML Basic 1.1 DTD:
>
> If it does not validate against the XHTML-MP 1.2 DTD, FAIL"
>
> Comment:
> This does not allow for valid HTML documents. In HTML end tags for elements
> declared EMPTY is forbidden, while XHTML requires end tags for all elements.

That's true, we are definitely not passing HTML documents, only those
that validate as XHTML Basic 1.1 (... really, or XHTML MP 1.2).

> "3.11 MEASURES
>
> For each property in the CSS Style (2.3.5 CSS Style) whose value is a
> numeric measure of length stated together with a unit:
>
> If the value is non-zero and the unit is not "em" or "ex", and the property
> is not a margin, border or padding box property, FAIL
>
> PASS"
>
> Comment:
> What about specifying the width and height of images with intristic pixel
> size?

Good point, since we also specify that you should include these sizes
in pixels on img tags, which looks contradictory. I think the
reasoning here is that it's desirable to not depend on a particular
screen size, but, images are going to have a size in pixels no matter
what. Go ahead and state this to help the browser.

> "3.12 MINIMIZE
>
> Count number of white space characters in a sequence of more than one white
> space character (not counting the first), which exist outside of a pre,
> style, script element, or XML comment
>
> Add to this count the number of characters comprising XML comments. This
> total is the number of extraneous characters in the document."
>
> Comment:
> Why are script and style comments and extra spaces within a script or a
> stylesheet are not added to the count?

Good points, I'll bring this up. The rationale for script may simply
have been that it's notably harder to determine what whitespace is
extra in javascript, and that <script> may have some unknown language
anyway. CSS: partly the same reasoning. It deserves another look.

> "3.15 OBJECTS_OR_SCRIPT  (partial)
> If an object element is present and has no object element ancestor,
>
> If the innermost nested object element is empty, warn
>
> If the innermost nested object element content consists only of white space,
> FAIL..."
>
> Comment:
> Rather than "the innermost nested object" it is simpler to state "an
> object".

Yeah that's a reasonable edit -- the wording is a little redundant,
though clarifies exactly what's being looked for.