Re: please reivew mobileOK Basic Tests 1.0

I qualify my claim here a bit since it's hard to say with a lot of
certainty exactly what is being used across the globe. I can offer a
few generalized stats (forgive me, don't want to get in trouble for
publishing anything too specific on a whim here) from searches to
google.com/m which is a reasonable source of data.

Over 80% of requests are from phones whose screen size exceeds that
specified by the DDC.

Very roughly a third of searches are from WML-only phones. This is
another reason "most" is a loaded term. We aren't considering WML at
all, as its old stuff, not very expressive, and plainly we're getting
complaints for considering even the more advanced XHTML MP / Basic
specs. I do think it underscores the fact that many mobile devices in
use are not very advanced at all.

About 90% of searches from XHTML-capable devices that we don't
consider fancy enough to send to the non-mobile search are from
devices that meet or exceed the DDC profile.

I don't have good penetration stats on Japan readily available. I can
say that Japan accounts for very roughly half of the mobile
web-specific searches (and those are of course for cHTML content),
which says that proportionally it's very big there. Of course I
suppose it only big relative to arguably small adoption in the rest of
the world.