Re: Comments on Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0, Draft 13 January 2006

Hello Ville,

Le samedi 14 janvier 2006 à 21:29 +0200, Ville Karinen a écrit :
> i remember there was some discussion whether MWBP promotes One Web or
> not, but in any case, i guess one goal of the *document* is to explain
> different kind of approaches or strategies how Web can be served
> for/accessed via mobile device.

Thank you for your comment; the goal of the document as stated in the
draft [1] is set out "a series of recommendations designed to promote
more effective delivery of Web content to mobile devices".

> However, it seems that the document is concentrating mainly on
> authoring
> process. As we can change the existing Web very slowly, it would be
> informative for non-mobile Web experts to illustrate already existing
> Web to Mobile adaptation processes, which are based on proxy based
> conversion.

As stated in the "Classes of products"  section [2], we're only dealing
with "content as it gets delivered to a Web user agent". The way it is
authored, adapted or proxied along the delivery chain is thus out of
scope for our document, although we briefly explain where content
adaptation fits in there [3].

Furthermore, a W3C Technical Report would not be the right place to
present vendor-specific solutions for content adaptation.

Nevertheless, the Techniques the Working Group has started to work on
will present a set of technical advices regarding how to put the best
practices in application; as these techniques will be open for
contributions, maybe could you then suggest something along the lines of
your email message?

In the meantime, is there a way to rephrase your comment in a way that
would fit in the scope of our best practices?

Thank you very much for the time you took to review and comment on the
document.

Dom

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-mobile-bp-20060113/#iddiv3102433376
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-mobile-bp-20060113/#iddiv2102690416