BALANCE

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> CMN: This also addresses a problem 13.6 was designed to solve of
> requiring blind users to wade through a large number of links in order
> to find the one they want. Given that people's mental models generally
> only hold 7±2 distinct objects [Magic number paper] then having to
> recall more than that many links to choose the right one leads to
> serious inefficiency for blind users.

I haven't included the reference to checkpoint 13.6 as it isn't directly
related to this BP, although I realise what you mean. I've added a
comparison with all users at the beginning and incorporated your idea into
the text like this:

How does it help especially users with disabilities?: Like all users of
the small keypads found on mobile devices, users with motor disability may
experience special difficulty in using the keyboard or other device to
navigate between links. Users with cognitive disability may have
difficulty concentrating on large numbers of links. Screen reader users
may also have difficulty reading through and remembering a large number of
links in order to decide which one they want. Given that human memory can
only hold a limited number of items then having to recall more than that
many links to choose the right one leads to serious difficulty for blind
users. Reducing the number of links helps avoid these difficulties.

cheers,

--
Alan Chuter
Accessibility Consultant

If you are unable to reply to this message because of spam filter, try my
alternative address achuter.technosite@yahoo.com.

Si no puede contestar a este mensaje por culpa del filtro de spam, intente
con mi dirección alternativa achuter.technosite@yahoo.com.