Re: Blockchain Standardization (was Re: PR for playground)

On 3 April 2017 at 07:00, Mountie Lee <mountie@paygate.net> wrote:

> at Web Payments WG had similar issue.
> and they published Payment Method Identifiers ( https://www.w3.org/TR/
> payment-method-id/ )

Just looking through this spec, it looks completely broken:

For example lines like this :

"Identifier URLs MUST have null query and fragment values."

Make no sense.  Artificial restrictions that prevent interop and scaling.
Things like this are why decentralized identifiers in web 2.0 have been a
mess for over a decade.  Artificial and arbitrary restrictions not a good
idea.  A centralized registry of strings should generally be avoided.  Tho
in the browser (shopping cart) context, I can see why it could be OK.

Let's not make this kind of mistake.  Getting decentralized identifiers
right, will be a key competitive advantage, especially for block chains
which have strong dencentralized features.