FW: [rda-metadata-ig][rda-wds-publishingdata-ig][rda-libresearchdata][rda-repoplatforms-ig] Survey on current practices in using schemas to describe research datasets

From: sjsk=nsidc.org@rda-groups.org [mailto:sjsk=nsidc.org@rda-groups.org] On Behalf Of sjskhalsa
Sent: 27 February 2019 13:35
To: rda-metadata-ig@rda-groups.org; rda-repoplatforms-ig@rda-groups.org; rda-libresearchdata@rda-groups.org; rda-wds-publishingdata-ig@rda-groups.org
Cc: Fotis E. Psomopoulos; Mingfang Wu
Subject: [rda-metadata-ig][rda-wds-publishingdata-ig][rda-libresearchdata][rda-repoplatforms-ig] Survey on current practices in using schemas to describe research datasets

The following is an invitation to participate in a survey concerning use of schemas to describe research datasets.

There is widespread and growing use of metadata schemas such as schema.org<https://schema.org/> and DCAT<https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat-2/> to describe research data, often for the purpose of adding structured metadata to landing pages so that they can be indexed by, and searchable through web search engines.
If you have adopted or extended a metadata schema in some way, have undertaken a crosswalk from another schema to Schema.org, or have explored whether Schema.org is suitable for a specific repository, we would very much appreciate your participation in this survey: “Current practices in using schemas to describe research datasets<https://goo.gl/iLunug>”.

Operating under the auspices of the Research Data Alliance<https://rd-alliance.org/>, we hope to engage researchers globally to assess current working practices and to recommend solutions that will serve community efforts in the domain. The survey will inform the planning of an RDA working group “Using schema.org for research dataset discovery<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cuxZGfL0I7dCu8sGcFzlVAKPddggKkbxtcrT7FZgr-I/edit>”, the name and scope for which are still under development.

The survey should take about 15 minutes to complete; your participation by 25th March would be most helpful to us. Should you require any clarification about the survey or wish to comment on the questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Please click here<https://goo.gl/iLunug> to start the survey.

Best wishes,
Mingfang on behalf of Preparation group for the RDA Schemas WG
p.s. Please help to forward this email to your network for wider participation. Thanks!

--

Siri-Jodha Singh KHALSA, Ph.D., SMIEEE

National Snow and Ice Data Center

University of Colorado

Boulder, CO 80309-0449 Phone: 1-303-492-1445 GV: 1-303-736-9976

http://cires.colorado.edu/~khalsa

http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9217-5550