Re: Bioschemas Taxon profile specification

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 at 16:42, ljgarcia <ljgarcia@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What Melanie suggests is useful to describe profiles, they would become
> a DefinedTerm. That would help as well to avoid type/profile confusion.
> We would talk then about DefinedTerms. If we find a way to also
> described the properties accepted with their restrictions, that would be
> even better. That might be a good subject for a different discussion.

This means there will have to be special Bioschemas code that knows to look
in a DefinedTerm somewhere for this information.  I still think using a
subtype to signify a profile will be simpler.

I also disagree with Alasdair in that I think there should be a
http://bioschema.org/Protein type.  This would be an empty type that just
signifies we're talking about a Bioschemas defined protein. so it isn't
treading on anybodies toes.  This would have information saying it's
defined by http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/PR_000000001 and it's same as
terms.  Without this, there's not much point having a bioschemas context,
and requiring people to use this specific string every time is cumbersome,
especially if every group chooses something from a different ontology.
This makes writing and consuming markup harder.

> The question remains. How do we choose a term over others to associate
> it to a profile/DefinedTerm?

I suggest having members of each specification group propose which term
they want and then come to consensus via discussion and/or vote.