Re: Group membership and profile contributions

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Gray, Alasdair J G <A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> On 11 Apr 2018, at 13:06, Justin Clark-Casey <justinccdev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> However, I feel that it may put people like me, a research software
> engineer who produces Bioschemas consuming components/applications, in a
> less than ideal position.  I've been involved with Bioschemas for a long
> time, but the cross-cutting nature of my work means that my contributions
> to profiles tends to be at the general and technical level.
>

> I appreciate your concern here and the contribution of folk like yourself
> are essential to the community and the development of profiles. I believe
> that there could be a case made for your contribution to various profiles
> based on your involvement in discussions both in meetings and online.

Thankyou Alasdair.  Yes, I think a case could actually be made for me in
particular and folks like Dominique, but I'm also very interested in
encouraging participation and co-operative development with other software
engineers too, who may not have had those opportunities so far but should
get recognition.

> I know there is the validation group [1], but afaik there isn't currently
> a group that covers search issues, such as recommendations for making
> bioschemas markup findable (e.g. reachable through a sitemap, aggregating
> markup on a single page, pushing a crawl to commoncrawl.org) or search
> technology (e.g. Federico and Ricardo's crawler work, and the Buzzbang
> project, components of which were used in the recent EBI Biosamples
> workshop to demonstrate linking data from 2 biobanks).
>
> So as part of a clarification of group membership, I would propose
> creation of a new Technical group to encourage engagement on these topics
> and give recognition to engineers working in this area. I would be happy to
> help lead such a group.  Thoughts from anybody?
>

> We certainly need to have something like the technical group that you
> propose. Does such a group need to be separate from the Tools group that is
> developing the profile for describing software tools and services?

 I believe it should be separate because describing tools/libraries and
implementing them are activities that often (though not always) draw
different interest groups.

> Hopefully we can start populating something like the GSoC page with tools
> that we have available for the community to use. The page could list tools
> such as BuzzBang and explain how others can contribute.

That would be a great start, since such a page could also point towards
current and evolving technical best practice surrounding bioschemas (e.g.
where to put markup, sitemap.xml, etc.).