Re: project outline

Here is our revised project outline, per today's meeting:
[[
Project outline:

- The work product is to be a set of logical predicates
  (classes and properties), expressed in OWL, together with
  explanation and rationale.

- Include a class of 'representations', and the members of
  that class would have properties, such as content, media
  type, language.

- Introduce 'information resource' as something that 'has
  representations' (different ones at different times) and
  pretty much nothing else.  (maybe some 'phlogiston')

- Introduce a term for the relationship (according to HTTP)
  between the target resource and authorized representation,
  and another term for the domain of that relationship.

- Talk about properties of IRs as a way of explaining "purpose".
  "Purpose" of IR idea = saying things about them. Content
  invariants (e.g. author, title, publisher, date, subject,
  media type, language, scribe: ). Lawful variation (weather
  in Oaxaca, news.google.com, blogs).  Also consider: Versions
  and stability (e.g. as practiced at w3.org).

- Suggest ways to interpret various situations in terms of this
  ontology.  Files as IRs. HTTP as revealing information about
  IRs (their representations). Expires: , Content-location:
  , and so on.  Status codes.

- Check against use cases (which we'll have to re-collect,
  I think they're scattered)

- Comparison with other work (IRW, IAO, etc): where we know
  about relationships to other work it should be mentioned.

- Choose class and property URIs and prepare OWL file and
  report.

Separate work items, potentially requiring additional task
  forces:

- What HTTP redirects tell us (in terms of the QO).  Additional
  predicates, if needed.  "Cafeteria" approach, meaning offer
  a choice of ways to interpret redirects in the QO.

- The 'describes' relation. Interpreting 303 and RDF-based
  fragid definitions.  [Agreed 18-Jan-2011: Leave 303 to either
  nose following or redirects work item.]

- Optional: Fragid semantics in general.  [Agreed 18-Jan-2011:
  Put in separate section]

- Optional: Link relations (Link: and /.well-known/host-meta)
  [Agreed 18-Jan-2011: Put link relations with 303 for the
  moment.]

]]

--
David Booth, Ph.D.