Re: AWWSW vs. httpRange-14

Hi Jonathan,

I want to see if I am properly understanding what you mean, so I'll
reflect back a bit for you to verify or correct.

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 10:38 -0500, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> In my current view there are two issues:
>
> 1. What notation do we use to write a reference to an 'information resource'?

Do you mean an *explicit* reference, such as <http://example/#foo> in
the following RDF statement:

  <http://example/#foo> a :InformationResource .

Or do you mean an *implicit* reference, by virtue of the fact that an
HTTP GET on that URI yielded a 200 status?

  <http://example/bar> :createdOn "2009-12-31"^^xsd:date .

where a GET on http://example/bar yields a 200 response with a document.

Or do you mean both?  Or something else?

> 2. What does such a reference mean, such that it can be used to good
> effect in various kinds of statements (eg. Dublin Core, FOAF, CC REL)?

Do mean: "What other RDF assertions should be used if a URI is used in
an RDF statement?"?

If so, this sounds right up the ally of "Statement author responsibility
3" and "Consumer responsibility 5" in
http://dbooth.org/2009/lifecycle/

> Clearly these interact, but pretend for a minute that they don't.
>
> #1 is related to Harry's complaint that # and 303 are too hard; he
> doesn't like it that we use dereferenceable URIs as references to
> information resources, because he thinks those URIs can be put to
> better use.  (IIUC.)
>
> #2 was the complaint that created AWWSW: If I *do* use a term (URI or
> anything else) referring to an "information resource" in a proposition
> (metadata), what do I mean, even if the webarch is assumed; and might
> we either record or set expectations for their use.
>
> The TAG was convinced this week that an issue needs to be opened for
> #1, and I will be moving that forward.
>
> It was already convinced #2 was a question, and that's how AWWSW was
> established.
>
> I think that Harry and Alan (and Larry Masinter) are saying something
> similar, which is: If it matters whether your meaning is clear, then
> IR references do not stand on their own, as they are inherently
> unclear.  To obtain interoperability, you have to stop talking about
> 'the information resource at a URI' entirely, regardless of how you
> refer to them. IR is a lost cause.
>
> This cuts both ways. If you want to be clear that you mean to use an
> http: URI to refer to something described in the accessed document,
> you need to write some statements to that effect.

Such as by owl:imports?

> (This is clearly
> even harder than using # or 303.) If you want to be clear that you
> want it to mean the document, you also need to say something.  (So
> Creative Commons and FOAF would need to retool.)
>
> In this pessimistic view it's only if you don't care about being clear
> that http: URIs serve as references.
>
> In either case RDF graph merging (i.e. interoperability) is defeated
> since to merge a graph using a URI in one way with a graph using a URI
> in the other way either one or the other graph would need
> alpha-conversion, a rather nasty procedure.

Pointer to alpha-conversion please?

thanks,
David