Re: A#B where A redirects to C#D ('tertiary resources')

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>
>> Funny, I saw that there was a reply and thought to myself "I bet that's Pat..."
>
> See, it is possible to have free will and be part of a deterministic universe.
>>
>> Take my question "how can an element have a representation?" not as
>> rhetorical but as a genuine request for information.
>
> Fine, but I have a prior request for information. What do you mean by "element" here? You suddenly use the term in the middle of your message, without any explanation.

So sorry! I meant 'element' in the SGML / XML / HTML sense:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-logical-struct
If an element of a document labeled as application/xml has an xml:id
attribute, then the string that's the value of the attribute is
defined, as a fragment id, to designate that element. (Well, this is
what's intended. The specs don't quite say this, although a revision
in progress to RFC 3023 does say it.) For HTML (RFC 2854) the
situation is quite clear: "the fragment identifier designates the
correspondingly named element".

Now what the fragid-possessing URI reference is supposed to designate
(according to nose-following) if one representation (in French, say)
specifies one element and another representation (in Indonesian, say)
specifies a different one - well I'm not sure - maybe something just
as elusive as an "information resource". But that's a different story.

Jonathan