Re: sketch of an exposition

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:24:40 -0500
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, AWWSW TF <public-awwsw@w3.org>
On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 11:02 -0400, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 10:50 -0400, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> >> In the car now but for the moment, let's just say a reasoner doesn't
> >> know my wife.
> >
> > It doesn't know everything about your wife, but it knows
> > enough to distinguish her from other people for the purpose
> > of on-line banking, shared calendar access, etc.
>
> What you are talking about is also not necessarily reference - it is
> discrimination.
>
> The reasoners we have now perhaps have reference, but not to the same
> entities that we have reference too. For a DL reasoner, every thing
> might as well be a pebble. All it needs is to tell one pebble from
> another.

Yes, that's my understanding of how reference and communication works.

Connect the reasoner to a camera and such, and it will be able
to tell people from pebbles, and one person from another by
face recognition, and so on. I don't see any sharp distinction
between this and some other concept of reference.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E