Re: [pedantic-web] Re: The OWL Ontology URI

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:49:41 -0400
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, AWWSW TF <public-awwsw@w3.org>
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> however, as it seems to drive a truck through the purpose of httpRange14,
> since it means there is then no way, given a URI which yields a 200 level
> response, to figure out what it denotes.

That's the conclusion behind my recommendation that one uses 303 (or link
header).

But maybe it's too pessimistic. Maybe we know a little, like it's not a
potato. Perhaps that the resource is something from a union of the sorts of
things one found on the web before use semantic guys came around. Things
like:

Services
Questionaires
Documents
Instrument readouts
Resolution independent images
Slices of databases

However, knowing that something is in the union of the above *tells us very
little of practical use in semantic web applications*.

-Alan