Re: Are generic resources intentional?

OK, point taken.

On May 29, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Jonathan Rees wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:
>> My, er, intent was that this is a necessary, not sufficient,
>> condition. I
>> don't think we need a sufficient condition for anything on the Web
>> that
>> can't be stated in terms of XXTP responses and codes.
>
> That's fine, but then "on the web" becomes a necessary condition.
> The current exercise is to reverse engineer "generic resource" as
> described
> by Tim,

See, this is the problem with jumping into an ongoing discussion
without reading *everything* that has already been said. Sorry.

> and it clearly includes things that are not "on the web".
>
> At various points I have had your "accessible" in my pictures, because
> it's a pretty clear idea, but it is just a different kind of entity,
> as far as I can tell.
> To be accessible is to be a physical thing, and a generic-resource
> isn't

Agreed, you can't access Moby Dick or The Bible. I wonder, therefore,
why we are even talking about such things here? They seem to have no
place in Web architecture at all (though they can, of course, be
referred to.) Maybe it would be useful to ask, why do we need to talk
about them? Suppose (a useful mental exercise, I often find) that
these things, whatever they are, simply vanished, in a kind of
conceptual Rapture, and we all had to get along without knowing about
them. What would actually change, in that case? So, for example, all
the actual printed or electronic versions of Moby DIck would still be
around, its just that there would be a Moby Dick for them to be
versions of.  Readers wouldn't be bothered, I guess, but librarians
would be, and booksellers might be as well. Anyone who keeps catalogs,
in fact. So, maybe thats where the concept has most 'bite' in the real
world, when cataloguing things. Is that way of thinking any help?

> (again,
> as far as I can tell - it's all so mushy I still haven't found a place
> to stand).

I know that feeling.

Pat