Re: speaks_for stuff in N3Logic

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 18:17 -0500, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> I'd be careful about getting anywhere near security with this stuff,
> since it's inherently authority-based and if the checks are done at
> the wrong time it will suffer along the lines of Tyler Close's "ACLs
> don't" paper.

Hmm... it's what the customer asked for; i.e. Larry asked me
to look at origin while I was at it.

I agree that the origin model is pretty whacko, but it's
what's deployed.

>  I don't think that's what you have in mind, but I'd say
> this stuff is best marketed as empirical and inherently non-secure,
> not prescriptive.

I'm not quite following you. The two examples I've written up
are

 (1) showing the reasoning in a browser when it enforces
 the same-origin policy.

 (2) showing that relying on cookies for authorization is a lose.

Certainly (2) isn't an endorsement of authority-based stuff.

Perhaps (1) looks a little like it, but that's not the intent;
the intent is just to talk about the policy. I expect that
when I get beyond same-origin and into examples of CORS
and UM, it'll turn out that CORS works like cookies.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E