Re: statements about resources vs. representations

Pat Hayes writes:

> I think what Harry should have said is that they are too
> ephemeral for someone to want to give them an enduring name or
> identifier. But there are other ways to refer to things than
> baptizing them with a URI for all time.

On this I don't think I agree.  We're talking about the Web here, and
what's more, I think a representation is an information resource.  I mean,
not only can the thing be represented as a computer message, the whole
point of it is to be sent in a computer message!  The key architectural
imperative for the Web is "Identify with URIs."  I see no reason why, in
cases where you do want some means of identifying a particular
representation, a URI wouldn't be the way to do it.  When I make that
choice, I get a variety of advantages:  I can make Semantic Web statements
about the representation (it was buggy, it took a long time to arrive, it
was cached at proxy p1, etc.) in the natural way without resorting to
indirection;  I think I could even choose to run a server that would
respond to GETs with representations of, well, the representation.  I
think the usual rules of the Web apply well here:  when you need to
identify something, do it with URIs.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-use-uris

Noah Mendelsohn