Re: statements about resources vs. representations

Harry Halpin writes:

> Furthermore, I was under the impression that this inability to speak
> about representations is a "feature", not a bug, since one assumes that
> representations in of themselves are too ephemeral for someone to *want*
> to make statements about them.

Really?  What if I'm building a bug reporting system and I want to report
that "the representation returned from a GET on resource R was buggy?"
(e.g. sent with Content-type: application/xml but turned out not to be
well formed.)  It's certainly true that the Web offers no standard means
of determining a URI for an arbitrary representation, but I don't think
it's in general the case that one would never *want* to make statements
about representations.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation