RE: N3 rule for proposed Resource-Description header

Hi Stuart,

> From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
> [ . . . ]
> I see Link or Resource-Description as equally applicable on a
> 303 response. I see your ruleset entails a hasDirectGetReply
> (ie. a 200). Actually, I would see such header based
> references (which indeed the Location: based reference is as
> well) as all having equivalent standing of "core"ness  or
> otherwise - they involve the same amount of
> forethought/deliberation to deploy. Would also work nicely
> with a HEAD request on an IR.

Hmm, it hadn't occurred to me that one might want a Resource-Description header on a 303 response.  But, yes, I can see that that could be useful also, and could be treated as indicating ancillary assertions just as for a 200 response.  I could see this as being particularly useful in support of suggested practice P4:
http://dbooth.org/2007/uri-decl/#p4
"A URI declaration page should provide links to suggested ancillary assertions about the resources whose URIs are declared by that page."
If the URI owner has already published a URI declaration and doesn't want to change it to add links to suggested ancillary assertions, then a Resource-Description or Link header could be a good way to do it.

> In this case the irrefutabilty comes from it being a 200...

Right, it's the 200 response that gives it irrefutability -- not the presence of a Link or Resource-Description header.

> whereas, the redirection/linked references are orthogonal to
> that (though I don't know what a Location: present in a 200
> would mean... hmmm...). That Link or Resource-Description is
> present in the response to not make for an irrefutable claim
> that the resource is an IR.

I don't know what you mean.  That last sentence seems to be missing some words or something, as I cannot seem to parse it.  Can you explain?

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.