Re: Roving air quality monitor example data usage

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for reading and even more appreciate the response.

There certainly are benefits, more controlled and scientific, to having
fixed air quality monitoring. There are also some to roving as it can
cover a much wider area for instance. It is a real world example as
presented during the IoT call although augmented with additional
sensors not part of the automobile's original equipment.

https://www.w3.org/2018/11/20-auto-minutes.html#item01

I have not proven how much could be reasonably discerned about air
quality from performance statistics and other available data points but
believe it may be possible to draw some inferences. Based on location
and heading information you could account for some of the variables
like road incline affecting performance or instead compare to past
readings at the same place. External weather and other data can
potentially be factored in.

Particulars aside the merits of the example are more in the abstract. I
want to touch on those before getting to your excellent scenarios and
informative and amusing user responses.

At the higher level this is an unlikely assortment of data points to
aggregate especially in the sampling methodology desired (timed, curve
algorithm, other) and therefore doubtful what OEM would collect in
their warehousing. Best handled via a specific sampling application
permitted to run on head unit.

As noted it would also be significantly better data with aftermarket
sensors added. The question then is how, provided some OEM may be
inclined, to integrate additional data in VISS (current or next) which
relates to registry topic in WG. There are many other possible
aftermarket sensor scenarios. Another example would be tire
manufacturer specific tpms which may be able to provide other data such
as per wheel balance and vibrations to an app on head unit from the
same tire manufacturer and/or a common, generic wheel maintenance
solution. This tire maintenance example has similar essential needs as
the air quality one. Specifically the combination of specific oem and
aftermarket signals best sampled on-board, edge computing, before
sending to cloud entrusted to a particular organization for specific
purpose[s] and clear, including can be referenced later by URI, terms.

As to your thought out scenarios, to be determined how best to present
and certainly would be wise to try on some test audiences. I defer to
usability and legal experts on what to provide in the interface but we
can try it out some, your wording was great.

Scenario 1 is too detailed and confuses user as you note, 2 too vague.
An enhancement to scenario 3 would be ability to expand on various
details. This would go beyond just providing details on which specific
signals would be collected but about the organization, email individual
the link to where in their profile one can alter/revoke permissions at
a later date, and whatever other provisions thought up and determined
useful.

Here is a possible web UI with [links] to more details on that topic or
if appropriate a user interface. Links probably handled as new tab or
pop-up that when closed brings you back to the initial page.  I'm not a
UX expert by any means. All content possible should be static, local
caopy from app install or a caching proxy, submitting changes to cloud
or car as appropriate.

[Foobar University Researchers] would like to collect [location],
[various vehicle performance and other sensor data] for the purpose of
[air quality monitoring]. With the exception of location, no personal
identifying information (driver, vin) is collected. You may [review
their terms] and [change your permission] at any point.

Provide permission [Yes/No] (previous selection set if applicable)

Footnote and various pertinent links such as benefits and legal
agreements, way to send user details by email/sms/cloud, ideally from
profile instead of having to enter on a form.

===

Getting into benefits as a direct consequence of and motivation for
giving permission would be ideal to try to state and include in brief
on the main page with a more nuanced explanation available. Done well
will help get more people besides those who just like to click yes to
participate and many may even understand to whatever level of detail
makes them comfortable what they are agreeing to.

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Automotive Lead