W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-autowebplatform@w3.org > May 2014

Summary of the Gothenburg F2F meeting last week

From: Abramski, Adam M <adam.m.abramski@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 18:02:15 +0000
To: "public-autowebplatform@w3.org" <public-autowebplatform@w3.org>, "internal-autowebplatform@w3.org" <internal-autowebplatform@w3.org>
CC: "Abramski, Adam M" <adam.m.abramski@intel.com>
Message-ID: <6AB32C125D193D47AE66073666ED3B5E34AF627C@ORSMSX105.amr.corp.intel.com>
Gothenburg Face to Face Summary (May 22 & 23)
Thanks to all who came to the W3C Automotive Business Group's fourth face to face in Gothenburg, Sweden on May 22nd and 23rd. It was another well attended, productive meeting with close to 25 participants each day from Access, ADIT, Bosch, Continental, Elektrobit, Fiat, GM, Honda/JARI, Intel, Jaguar Land Rover, KDDI, LG, Livio, Neusoft, OBIGO, OpenCar, PSA and W3C. There was very good discussion (and action items) around the maturing vehicle information specification and group direction as well as some excellent presentations by W3C staff, KDDI, Bosch, PSA, Continental and ADIT.
Detailed minutes for Day 1 are here: http://www.w3.org/2014/05/22-auto-minutes.html
Detailed minutes for Day 2 are here: https://www.w3.org/2014/05/23-auto-minutes.html
Here are the highlights:
*         Presentations
*         W3C - Overview and status of W3C specs that may be of interest to the BG
*         W3C - Overview and discussion about a potential W3C Automotive Working Group
*         KDDI - Geolocation Use Cases & Requirements and discussion
*         Bosch - Overview and discussion of GENIVI CE EG around Media Tuner project
*         PSA, Elektrobit and Aisin AW - Overview, status and discussion about GENIVI LBS EG on navigation project
*         Vehicle Information Specification
*         Paul went through all the email suggestions that came in regarding the spec.
*         Decision and changes to the spec were made in real time with the group

        *   Security was brought up and discussed
        *   AR: W3C/Alan to get authoritative person to talk to the BG about security of web apps
        *   AR: Paul/OpenCar will do a WebIDL check on draft spec before we post it for the 30-day public comment
        *   Get History method - presentation by KDDI
        *   AR: Kevron/Intel to propose and add get history method to spec and ask BG to comment on it
        *   Multiple engines (from Bart Hanssens email)
        *   AR: Kaz/W3C will provide concrete use cases for having gear ratios for Transmission Interface to attempt to address this and if need be reach out to Bart H
        *   Driver Identification (from email comments)
        *   AR: Vadim/GM to come up with a proposal on DriverIdentification
        *   Dead Reckoning Interface - remove but keep WheelTicks and SteeringWheelAngle
        *   AR: Paul/Kevron - to remove and make changes to add WheelTicks and SteeringWheelAngle to the spec
        *   Odometer Interface (Vadim's email)
        *   AR: Paul/Vadim/Kevron - suggestion was to add 2 trip meters per the email to the spec
        *   Geolocation presentation by KDDI
        *   Decision to use existing W3C Geolocation API spec and reference it in our spec
        *   AR: Hirabayashi/KDDI/Kaz/W3C - create a report with use cases and changes/additions to the existing W3C Geolocation API spec that cover Geocoding
        *   Navigator Interface (from Vadim's write-up http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-autowebplatform/2014May/0062.html and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-autowebplatform/2014May/att-0062/Spec_Considerations.docx)
        *   Availability method - splitting it into 2 isAvailableForGet() and isAvailableForSet() (from Vadim's write-up http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-autowebplatform/2014May/att-0062/Spec_Considerations.docx)
        *   AR: Vadim/GM to generate a recommendation to include in the spec
        *   Identification - DriverIdentification interface (from Vadim's write-up http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-autowebplatform/2014May/att-0062/Spec_Considerations.docx)
        *   AR: Kaz/W3C to investigate user profile work that was previously done in W3C but was never completed
        *   Vadim/GM to write up a proposal based on Kaz's feedback to include into the spec
        *   Units of Measure - suggestion by Daniel in email comments to BG was to only use one measurement and suggested using SI as that one
        *   BG agreed to use one measurement and that was SI and that the app developer would be responsible for changing the unit of measure in the app if needed
        *   AR: Vadim/GM/Aldric/PSA to suggest the data type like float or integer for each vehicle data element
        *   AR: Paul/OpenCar/Kevron/Intel/Justin/LGE based on Vadim/Aldric's AR above will modify the spec to match the proposal
*         Notes/Comments in the spec were also cleaned up in real time with the group
*         AR: To all - Vehicle Information spec to be completed by June 13th so spec can finished up and be posted by June 20th for 30-day public comment
*         Architecture of Automotive APIs

     *   Adam/Intel presented on what are all of the Web APIs that Tizen IVI is busy implementing (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-autowebplatform/2014May/att-0067/W3C_Auto_BG_05222014.pdf)
*         Discussion and questions amongst the group which lead to discussion about what should the group tackle next after the Vehicle Data spec (see below for Tuner, Navigation etc.)
*         Group Direction
*         Timeline laid out to potentially create an Automotive Working Group by October 2014

        *   First Automotive WG F2F meeting to coincide with next Automotive BG F2F in October (see note below on next proposed F2F)
        *   Discussed how the BG and WG could work together with BG continuing to explore new spec and reports and WG focusing on driving specs like Vehicle Information spec to a final official state within the W3C
        *   Suggestion to have the BG and WG meeting F2F in October for the first day or half a day then let the BG and WG split off the next day to drive their own agendas and discussions
        *   AR: Intel/OpenCar to send email to list to suggest/propose a charter for the new Automotive WG but allow any other BG member company to step forward if they wanted to drive the charter and WG with the W3C
*         Next potential specification/report

        *   Media Tuner - most advanced project within GENIVI but we need a lead or co-leads to move this forward
           *   Suggestion is to have Pandora lead with help from GENIVI CE EG like Bosch and Obigo
           *   It would be good to have an OEM take an interest and help as well like JLR or GM or PSA or BMW
           *   Some information is available publically at: http://projects.genivi.org/ivi-radio/
           *   AR: To whoever leads this effort, the W3C suggested also looking at the TV CG since they are working on a TV Tuner API
           *   AR: Intel/OpenCar to ask GENIVI to open up the GENIVI CE EG Media Tuner project use cases, requirements, source code, etc. so BG could evaluate and coordinate the two efforts
*         Navigation - GENIVI LBS EG suggested waiting until Oct this year to check back on their progress

           *   GM suggested starting with POI - most everyone agreed that would be a good starting point for an API spec
           *   Some information is available publically at: http://projects.genivi.org/ivi-navigation/
           *   Also see some W3C POI spec draft: http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-poi-core-20110512/
           *   AR: Intel/OpenCar to ask GENIVI to open up the GENIVI LBS EG project use cases, requirements, source code, etc. so BG could evaluate and coordinate the two efforts
*         Speech

           *   Intel/Adam talked to Continental/Elektrobit about creating a report with use cases, recommendations and potential API changes/additions to the existing W3C Speech Web API spec by the CG
           *   AR: Continental/Electrobit plan to implement the Speech Web API plus additional APIs to test within GENIVI EG and prepare a report afterwards (report likely in Fall this year)
           *   Automotive BG will get to review the report before taking it to the W3C Speech CG
*         Next face to face proposed will be in during the week of October 7 - 10 in conjunction with the GENIVI All Member Meeting in Ann Arbor, Michigan, specific dates and location to be determined but will likely be Thurs the 9th and Friday the 10th
*         AR: Adam/Intel to bring this up in June's monthly conf call to give members a heads up on planning to attend.
*         W3C TPAC is coming to Santa Clara this year from Oct 27 - 31 and I believe Paul and Adam will attend to represent our BG but other members are welcome as well
Immediate action items for the group are as follows:
*         See ARs from above and drive to finishing them so spec can be published to the public for a 30-day comment period by June 20th
*         Set up next face to face at GENIVI AMM on Oct 9th and 10th. ***Please let us know if you can attend.***
Thanks again to everyone who attended and a special thanks to GENIVI for the conference room and food!

Adam

Adam M Abramski
Product Planner
Intel Software & Services Group
503-264-8269 (o)
503-550-7910 (m)
adam.m.abramski@intel.com
Received on Friday, 30 May 2014 18:03:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 19:52:53 UTC