Re: Cordova

On 4/16/2014 6:10 PM, Marc Lapierre wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The idea behind Cordova for us is that is that it is essentially the
> main cross platform method of providing access to native
> services. With the proposed implementation, the vehicle object living
> inside the navigator object implies that the API will live on the web
> platform directly. There's nothing wrong with this per se, however
> this implies that the APIs will only be accessible on browser runtimes
> on the vehicle itself. If that is the goal, then this is certainly the
> more efficient way to implement this API.
>
> One of our goals is to take this API and make it available to remote
> devices for connection to the vehicle. We don't expect those devices
> to have the vehicle APIs implemented into their web platform. Cordova
> allows us to add the APIs to any device, regardless of their web
> platform implementation
>
> That said, there is nothing technically stopping us from making a
> Cordova plugin that will simply add the API onto the navigator object.
> It isn't really the typical way of doing thing,

I'm not sure it isn't the typical say of doing things in Cordova - I'm
not a great expert, but at least, quickly checking the camera API, at
least the camera seems to be added to the navigator object in Cordova  -
quoting from
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#Camera

> |navigator.camera.getPicture  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#camera.getPicture>(  cameraSuccess  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#cameraSuccess>,  cameraError  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#cameraError>,  [  cameraOptions  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_camera_camera.md.html#cameraOptions>  ]  );|

So is compass

> |navigator.compass.getCurrentHeading  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compass.getCurrentHeading>(compassSuccess  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compassSuccess>,  compassError  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compassError>,  compassOptions  <http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.3.0/cordova_compass_compass.md.html#compassOptions>);|

(won't go through all of them)

> My main comment was more to keep in mind how a typical implementation
> will look in the grand scheme of things, and to start thinking about
> how a remote device implementation would work.

I'm not aware of Cordova being used for APIs to remote devices (but
again, I'm far from an expert) - however, more generally, I've seen JS
app architectures (at least on paper) where a "local api" would be
proxied and any calls then redirected to the remote device - this would
be transparent to the caller - I'd assume one could do the same for a
vehicle API running on a phone